A group of around 300 Melbourne taxi drivers have blocked trams and road-traffic in the CBD as they closed off the intersection at Flinders and Swanston Streets from 6pm yesterday. The protests are for driver compensation, safety and respect. The catalyst being the violent stabbing of 23 year-old Jalvinder Singh, who is in a serious but stable condition in the Royal Melbourne Hospital. The protesting cabbies demands have been listed verbatim by The Age:
"- Compensation for the victim and severe punishment for the criminal.
- Safety Screens should be a part of taxi Road Worthy.
- Taxi should be pre-paid round the clock.
- Special protection should be provided at specific railways stations and suburbs after hours prone to safety issues with people.
- All the complaints by migrants should be seriously adhered to by the Police.
- All the infringements for parking given to taxis during protest should be taken back."
Source: The Age & News.com.au